Looking to learn how to recover deleted text messages on iPhone means that you probably lost your messages mistakenly and need one or more of them back. You can lose it by accidental deletion, to a virus attack, or after carrying out a delicate operation, such as a factory reset.
In this guide, you will learn how to recover deleted text messages on your iPhone using three methods. Be careful to follow the solutions as they are presented in order to avoid complications.
How do I recover deleted text messages on iPhone?
1. Recover deleted text messages on the iPhone from iCloud backup
- Open the Settings
- In Settings, tap on your Apple ID.
- On the next screen, tap iCloud and then iCloud Backup to open it.
The iCloud Backup screen shows the time of your last iCloud backup (below the Back Up Now button).
If the last time you performed an iCloud backup on your iPhone was before deleting the text messages, then this solution will work for the iPhone text messages recovery. If not, continue to the next step.
- Go back to the main Settings
- Tap General this time.
- Next, select Reset > Erase All Content and Settings.
- A popup will now warn you that you risk data loss by proceeding with the reset operation. Tap on Erase Now.
This operation wipes off everything on the device – music, videos, settings, apps, etc. At this point, we will restore the iCloud backup that contains the deleted text messages.
NOTE that while you will restore your old, deleted text messages, you will lose everything you downloaded to the iPhone since making the backup.
- Open the Apps & Data
- Next, tap on Restore from iCloud Backup, enter your password, and hit Sign in to iCloud.
- Finally, tap Choose a backup and select your most recent backup.
2. Recover deleted text messages on the iPhone from a computer backup.
- On your iPhone, disable the Find My iPhone by following the steps below:
- Next, open Settings from your home screen and tap of your Apple ID at the top of the list.
- Hit Find My and select Find My iPhone.
- Tap on the switch to toggle off the Find My iPhone
- Connect your device to a Windows computers and earlier macOS systems with iTunes installed or MacOS Catalina with Finder. This method will only work on a computer with which you have synced your iPhone data before deleting the text message.
For iTunes on Windows and macOS Mojave and lower:
- Launch iTunes with your iPhone connected.
- Click on the iPhone icon to open the connected iPhone.
- Next, navigate to the Summary tab on the left section.
- Finally, on the right-hand section, hit the Restore Backup
For Finder on macOS Catalina:
- Connect your iPhone to the machine and click on your device under the Locations section on the left.
- Next, click Manage Backups and then select a backup that predates the text message deletion. Hit OK to save.
- Finally, click Restore iPhone to recover the deleted text messages back to your device.
3. Contact your phone service provider to recover deleted text messages
If you have followed the guides correctly, you should be able to recover deleted text messages on iPhones now. However, if none of the solutions here help you get back your text messages, then you can contact your phone carrier. They may have a backup also.
4. Recover deleted text messages with a third-party app
The last solution for recovering deleted text messages is with the help of a third-party application. Tons of software are available for this operation, but with them, there is no real guarantee as to the safety of your smartphone data, as well as to the success of the operation.
Also, with third-party software, you almost always have to shell out a few bucks for the restoration service, unlike the solutions proffered here that are free.
I do not recommend that you make use of these tools, but if you must, the applications that appear to be good include Enigma Recovery, iMobie PhoneRescue, Tenorshare iPhone Data Recovery, iMyFone D-Back Data Recovery, and Wondershare dr.fone for iOS.
When you delete a text message from your iPhone, it does not leave the device immediately; what happens it that your iPhone only cannot “see” it. The text messages stay on your iPhone until the system rewrites them, so until then, the lost text messages are recoverable.
A recent iCloud backup or computer backup are the best ways to recover deleted iPhone text messages. If these fail, then you could either contact your cell phone service provider or attempt retrieving the messages with the use of a third-party application.